The spine (backbone) plays a vital role in stability. Not to mention, it also enhances smooth movement and protection of the spinal cord. Your back is made up of bony segments, called vertebra. The vertebra has fibrous tissue called intervertebral discs between them. The vertebrae and discs form the spinal column from the head to the pelvis. This allows symmetry and support to the body
Your Spine Deserves Special Care
Your spine is at the center of a delicately balanced system. It controls all of your body’s movements. Bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves all work together to balance your body weight. Being that, even minor damage to one component of your back’s structure can upset the balance. As a result, it can make movement painful.
The spine is very fragile. Therefore, it’s a good idea to have a specialist you can trust. Call our office today to learn more about our top spine specialists in South Florida at 888-409-8006.
The fact of the matter is, back pain is second only to headache as the most common cause of pain. In fact, 8 out of 10 people will have a problem with back pain at some point. The causes of back pain can be simple to complex. Although the vast majority can be treated non-surgically. In severe cases, however, surgical intervention is necessary.
Conditions & Injuries We Treat
At Total Ortho Center, we treat a wide variety of spine conditions and injuries.
Spine conditions, such as:
- Degenerative Disc Disease. When changes take place in the disks of your spine cause pain that is called degenerative disc disease. As we age, this disease is more likely.
- Spinal Osteoarthritis. Commonly referred to as wear and tear of the joints, osteoarthritis is typically found in middle-aged to elderly people.
- Osteoporosis. This is a disease where the bone density and quality are reduced. The loss of bone often happens silently and progressively until the first fracture occurs.
- Scoliosis. The condition, scoliosis, occurs during the growth spurt just before puberty. Other conditions can cause scoliosis. However, the exact cause is unknown.
- Spinal Tumors. An abnormal mass of tissue within or surrounding the spinal cord and/or spinal column is a spinal tumor.
- Spondylolisthesis. The disorder spondylolisthesis occurs when a spinal vertebra slips forward onto the bone below it.
- Spinal Stenosis. Spinal stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the spine. As a matter of fact, it results in pressure on the spinal cord or nerve root. Moreover, this causes pain and numbness.
Spinal injuries, such as:
- Compression Fracture. A compression fracture of the back is broken vertebrae. Vertebrae are the bones of the spine.
- Herniated Disc. A herniated disk is an injury to a spinal disc. A spinal disc is a rubbery cushion between the bones that make up your spine.
- Sciatica. This is a common problem of the sciatic nerve. When this condition occurs, it puts pressure on the sciatic nerve. Thus, causing radiating pain.
- Spinal Fracture. When trauma occurs to the spine, a spinal fracture can occur. Fractures that occur as a result of a high-velocity accident are most usually located in the mid to low back.
- Whiplash. A neck sprain or neck strain is considered whiplash. Often this injury occurs from automobile accidents.
Our team of qualified and skilled physicians provide a personalized experience. Utilizing the latest medical technologies and treatments, our staff is committed to delivering convenient and valuable services. Providing that, we offer a caring and comfortable environment to enhance the quality of life of our patients. Above all, we strive to meet the needs of the entire community!
Orthopedic Surgeon,Spine SurgeonDr. Ashish Sahai is a renowned board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in spinal surgery practicing in both Broward and Palm Beach county.
Anesthesiologist,Pain ManagementDr. Merheb is a pain management doctor practicing in Broward & Palm Beach providing international expertise in pain management, anesthesiology & spinal care