An adjustable bed could alleviate back pain. But it isn’t for everyone. Before you buy one, some questions should first be answered.
Does a Reclined Position Feel Better?
A reclined position can bring relief to back pain. If it does, an adjustable bed may also benefit you. These beds are helpful if you have one of the following:
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis. This causes lower back pain. And elevated back and knee support will help relieve pain.
- Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis affects the spine and joints. Pain in the back can be minimized by a reclined position.
- Lumbar spinal stenosis. Leaning forward is known to alleviate spinal stenosis pain. An adjustable bed can provide relief.
Adjustable beds are also great for recovery after surgery. Sleeping in a reclined position after back surgery is often preferred. It provides more support to the back, which relieves pain. This can help with sleep.
The pain with some conditions can actually feel worse with a reclined position, such as spondylitis. Sleep in a reclined chair before purchasing one. If your back pain is relieved for the night, then consider an adjustable bed.
Consider Your Budget
If an adjustable bed is going to help you, you need to also consider the cost. Pricing varies. So, think about what you are willing to spend. Once you have that amount, there are a few other things to consider, however. These tips can help you keep the price down as you pick what you need, such as:
Separate mattress: With some adjustable beds, the mattress is not included with the frame. Furthermore, not all standard mattresses are compatible with these beds. So, you may need to get a new mattress. Make sure you can afford both the frame and the mattress. Having a bed with a bad quality mattress will not ease the pain. In fact, it could worsen it.
Dual-adjustment options: Not all beds allow both sides to be adjusted together. So, consider this feature too. In fact, this typically costs more.
Extra features: The more features a bed has, the more it will cost. Many of these features will not even help with back pain, though. Save money by avoiding USB ports and built-in speakers. You can always buy this separately if necessary.
What is the Return Policy?
First off, can it even be returned? Check the return policy before you buy an adjustable bed. Consider these possibilities before you buy:
- The short time you lay on the mattress in the store will not come close to the many hours of sleep that will occur on it. So, it may not be as comfortable as you think.
- The bed may be faulty and not work once you reach home.
- The bed you receive may not be made the exact same way as the one in the store.
- Sometimes, people actually don’t even use the expensive reclining feature!
So, make sure you can return it if it’s not for you! It’s also important to check the refund policy to see what qualifies.
Have I Done Research?
Do a little research before you get an adjustable bed. And make sure to ask the right questions to your sales clerk and yourself! An adjustable bed may help relieve back pain. However, everyone has different needs.